So, now that I have decided on the basic theme and have a real domain name, I can make this website a little nicer to look at.
- I’m using an image I took in Thailand as the header background, because it’s one of the better beach images I have (and since I own the copyright, I can use it freely and for free).
- I switched the WordPress Theme to Twenty Eleven, because the original theme would not allow me to remove the text line from the header.
- I made the background a light blue-green-gray sort of color. I hope – I am colorblind.
- I’ve enabled social media sharing via the WordPress Jetpack plugin.
- I’ve removed the “recent posts” and “search” widgets, and I temporarily removed the “recent comments” plugin – since nobody is reading this and there are no comments, it felt redundant.
The theme has one shortcoming that I can see: For a page or article that is displayed on its own, it does not provide any sidebar. This is a problem because it gives me less opportunity to offer links to other articles or even advertisements. For now, this is a minor problem but in the long run I will either want to modify the theme, or get another theme.
Unfortunately, I forgot to take a screenshot before the changes, but this very close:
I think the current layout is quite an improvement.
Either way, if I start disliking any of this over time, I can just change it.